Wednesday, December 1, 2021
Welcome to my cozy sanctuary in the Land of Enchantment. For many years I lived in dread of December’s weather… and January, and February, and even March when I lived on the east coast. However, in the high desert southwest, I love December and the rest of winter.
Speaking of a different “Winter” I have been inspired by a post Diana Wallace Peach did for a book that inspired her. However, the challenge I issue will be based on my book. I want this to be available to everyone, so there’s a small giveaway too. (Unfortunately, I have to limit the free e-book to the USA.)
My Challenge to You
Create something using Emlyn’s world as portrayed in Dead of Winter: Journey 1, Forlorn Peak, as your inspiration. Not a story with my characters, but anything else you please. If you want to play and have not read the Journeys give me your email in a comment and I’ll send you a Kindle copy of the book. (Sadly, Amazon will only let me send them to the USA. Readers outside the USA are more than welcome, you’re encouraged to participate. I just can’t send you the book.)
Ideas for Challenge
Here are some ideas for your response to the challenge. Your creation may be a song, poem, photo, painting, image, something you’ll cook or bake, a menu, or a dance for that matter. Maybe a lesson plan for your children’s education, or tips for gardening, or a list of books you’d hide if the Brethren took over your town — just create.
- Use Dead of Winter: Journey 1, Forlorn Peak, as your inspiration.
- Link to my blog if you publish your creation http://www.teagansbooks.com
- Mention Dead of Winter, by Teagan Ríordáin Geneviene.
- Send me a link to your creation (if published) so I can share it.
- For those of you who are not reading the journeys your responses should represent a non-technology world in an oppressed society.
- Post/send your responses December 1 through December 24, 2021.
I will collect your responses throughout this month, and make a party of it in January.
Here are some brief videos to refresh your memory.
To be fair, I guess I should kickoff the challenge with my own contribution. Hmmm… Maybe a To Do List for planning a party.
To Do List for Party in Llyn Coombe Village
- Don’t let the Brethren of Un’Naf hear about the party.
- Send to the miller in Penllyn for cake flour.
- Walk to houses of friends to invite them. Make sure they don’t tell the Brethren or the elders.
- Make sure there is enough extra wood chopped for the oven to cook the party food.
- Send to Afon Faxon for apples from his orchard to make pies. Quietly enquire if he has anymore hard cider. Don’t let the Brethren of Un’Naf know about the cider.
- Sweep out the barn so there’s room for dancing. But for heaven’s sake, don’t let the Brethren or Elder Pwyll know!
Challenge Responses (that I know) So Far
Apparently, Crystal wants to do her own challenge, because she won’t stop walking on my computer… I don’t think she can imagine a place where she is not in charge.
Pat at eQuips: a poem
Thanks for spending part of your day here. I hope you’ll take me up on this challenge. I’m grateful to everyone who is reading this story. If you aren’t already, I hope you’ll be part of the extraordinary, layered world of these Journeys.
I love to hear from you, so friendly comments are encouraged. Hugs on the wing!
Dead of Winter — All the Journeys
Universal Purchase Links
Journey 11, the Sumelazon Escarpment
Journey 10, Pergesca
Journey 9, Doors of Attunement
Journey 8, The Lost Library
Journey 7, Revenant Pass
Journey 6, The Fluting Fell
Journey 5, Llyn Pistyll Falls
Journey 4, The Old Road
Journey 3, the Fever Field
Journey 2, Penllyn
Journey 1, Forlorn Peak
This is a work of fiction. Characters, names, places, and incidents are either the product of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, locales, or events is entirely coincidental.
Copyright © 2010 and 2021 by Teagan Ríordáin Geneviene
All rights reserved.
No part of this work may be reproduced, scanned, or distributed in any printed or electronic form without permission. Please do not participate in or encourage piracy of copyrighted materials in violation of the author’s rights.
All images are either the property of the author or provided by free sources, unless stated otherwise.